Functional resume format: writing tips
What is the structure of a functional resume? Typically, there are four sections you’ll use when building your functional resume. Here’s the easy path to a great functional resume.
To write a resume summary on a functional resume, include two or three sentences that highlight your best skills, qualifications and experience relevant to the job you’re applying for. If you’re changing careers, you want to mention transferable skills that will help you perform the new job.
Hard-working assistant teacher brings student-focused teaching to address student needs, assessments and curriculum development. Dedicated to maintaining effective parent communication and faculty collaboration.
In this section, feature your most relevant skills in subcategories. For example, you can separate your hard skills and soft skills into categories like Communication, Technical, Organizational and Leadership. Within each category, list 3-4 of your most important skills as they relate to the job you are applying for.
- Relevant teaching skills
- Adapts teaching methods to meet students’ needs and interests.
- Provides differentiated instruction and curriculum adjustments.
- Fluent with planning lessons and instruction for classrooms and individual settings.
3. Relevant professional experience
On a functional resume, your work history section will only include relevant experience. If you’re pursuing a career change, include jobs with transferable skills and point out how you used these skills in the job.
Professional experience example:
Teacher Assistant, Sept. 2021 – Present
Smallville Elementary School, Smallville, ND
- Assisted head teacher with an effective learning environment for 22 students.
- Helped develop creative teaching strategies to meet the needs of students.
- Acted as substitute teacher for physical education, music and art when needed.
In your education section, include information about where you went to college, as well as any other relevant training and certifications. If you have college experience, do not list high school experience. Only mention a high school diploma if you lack college.
Build my resume
- Studying for Bachelor of Education
- Adelphi University, Garden City, NY
- Expected Completion: May 2024